In addition to the roles/tasks and accountabilities expected of all councillors, the Council Leader:
- Leads the political administration of the council.
- Provides leadership in relation to policy formulation, implementation and monitoring of the council’s policies, budgets, strategies and service delivery and to contribute to the effective governance of the council.
- Provides strategic leadership and clear political direction and guidance to promote the best interests of the council and the community and improve the quality of life, social, economic and environmental well-being of the community and its citizens.
- Ensures that effective working relations are developed throughout the council and between the council and external partners in order to promote the best interests of all its communities.
From 2017 two Co-Leaders for Fife Council have been elected (Cllr David Ross - Labour and Cllr David Alexander - SNP).
Previous Leaders of the Adminstration:
- David Ross (2014 - 2017)
- Alex Rowley (2012 - 2014)
- Peter Grant (2007 - 2012)
- Anne McGovern (2003 - 2007)
- Christine May (1998 - 2003)
- Alex Rowley (1996 - 1998)