Brexit advice

Fife Council has no control over Government policy surrounding BREXIT. However, we will do our best to make sure EU citizens living in Fife are aware of decisions and arrangements that may affect them, as well as advice and support resources.

Advice specifically for Fife Council employees

 On this page:


Where to find more information and support logo Scottish Goverment information, including 'Stay in Scotland' package logo UK Government information
Citizens Advice Scotland logo A support and advice service for affected citizens living in Scotland with more complex needs logo Brexit planning for businesses in Scotland -

Local support groups










  Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families

If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen, you and your family will be able to apply to get either settled or pre-settled status. This will mean you can continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020. The EU Settlement Scheme is now fully open and the Government has confirmed that it wlll continue whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal.

Apply online, for free, at

You don't need to apply if:

  • you’re an Irish citizen
  • you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • you have indefinite leave to enter the UK

Your family members from outside the UK and Ireland still need to apply even if you do not need to. 

EU citizens and certain family members will be able to apply to the Scheme from outside the UK, free of charge and based on their previous residence in the UK, without needing to travel here to make an online application. More information on the Government website.

Anyone who paid a fee during the scheme's test phases will be refunded. The government will automatically refund the fee to the card that was used to pay it. An email will be sent to the contact address provided in the application, confirming when the refund has been processed.

Confirmation of Identity

To make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme, you need to confirm your identity:

  • If you have an Android device this can be done through the app ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’. Apple has confirmed the app will work on their devices by the end of 2019.
  • If you do not wish to, or cannot, use the EU Exit ID Document Check App you will be able to send your passport or other identity documents by post or you can make an appointment to have your ID document scanned and verified for you:
  • Registrars Office
    The Quadrangle
    City Chambers
    253 High Street
    EH1 1YP


Help to complete the application online

You can get Assisted Digital support to use the EU Settlement Scheme online application form if you’re in the UK and do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to complete the form.  Read more about the Assisted Digital service on Gov.UK website.

Contact ‘We Are Digital’ if you need this support and they will make an appointment for you:

  • Telephone – 03333 445 675 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
  • Text message – text the word VISA to 07537416944

In Fife the Assisted Digital Support locations are:


The Government has announced a new online system so that, if you have applied to the scheme you can view your status as soon as there's a decision.


You can go to your online profile to:

  • view your status
  • understand your rights
  • update your details


In the future, you’ll also be able to prove your rights to others online.


You will not get a paper document to prove your status and rights, as these documents can be open to fraud, or be lost or stolen. Help will be available if you have difficulties using the online service.


See how to access your profile on the Gov.UK website.


Further guidance and support



  • Applicants can contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre over the phone if they have questions about individual applications on 0300 123 7379 or use the online form.


Impartial Professional Advice


Most applicants to the EU Settled Status Scheme will find their applications are processed promptly and successfully.


If, however, you find that you require professional impartial advice about your application, COSLA has highlighted a useful resource to enable access to OISC registered advisers. The OISC  - Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner – regulates the work of advisers ensuring they are fit and competent and act in the best interest of their clients. 


The OISC has an Adviser Finder which will enable you to find a local adviser and you will be able to identify which advisers are free to provide initial advice.   



Statement issued by the Home Office, 21 August 2019:


Update on the EU Settlement Scheme


There have been reports in the media and on social media regarding plans to end freedom of movement after we leave the EU, as well as what this means for EU citizens resident in the UK.


We want to reassure all EU citizens and their family members in the UK that you still have until at least 31 December 2020 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, even in the event of a no-deal exit. Furthermore, if someone who is eligible for status is not in the UK when we leave the EU, they will still be free to enter the UK as they are now.


Those who have not yet applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 31 October 2019 will still have the same entitlements to work, benefits and services. Those rights will not change. EU citizens will continue to be able to prove their rights to access these benefits and services in the same way as they do now.


See also the Home Office’s freedom of movement factsheet or ask them a question.

If you haven’t already, you can also sign up to receive updates like this one direct from the Home Office.


Pensions & benefits

I am a non-UK EU citizen living in Scotland, will Brexit affect my pension?

If you are an EU citizen currently living in Scotland, you should continue to have access to your pension as normal.

If you are an EU citizen currently living in the UK and you get a pension from a non-UK authority, you should contact that country's relevant benefits and pension department for more information about the potential impact of Brexit.

Will EU citizens who have private occupational pensions in the UK still be able to receive them abroad?

There is nothing in UK private occupational pensions legislation that prevents occupational pension schemes from making pension payments overseas. It is not expected that this will change as a result of the UK withdrawing from the EU.

The UK government has announced an agreement on social security with Ireland, guaranteeing continued access to State Pension for UK and Irish citizens and their qualifying family members when in the other’s state.


If further details are made available by the relevant pensions bodies we will update the information here.

See UK Government guidance: "EU citizens in the UK: benefits and pensions in a ‘no deal’ scenario"




Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.